“You can't call yourself a petrol-head
until you have owned an Alfa!”

 

 

Index
 
 

 
Back to main page
 

 
It was Alfa Corse, the Alfa Romeo racing department, who around W.W.I introduced an extra logo on their cars.  A white triangle with a green four leaf clover inside, placed on either side of the hood, or the front wheel arch side panel.

When the racing car department was temporarily closed down in the 20's , the cars were transferred to the private team of Scuderia Ferrari. They again changed it to a prancing horse in a yellow shield.

The green four-leaf clover was later reintroduced on the hottest models in the Alfa racing team.
 



T H E   A L F A   L O G O   H I S T O R Y


The logo is split in half and contains the emblems of Alfa's hometown Milan and the one of the great Milanese 'Visconti' family. 

On the left is the red cross on a white background, which refers back to the days of the First Crusade, when many Milanese soldiers were amongst the Lombards who followed Giovanni of Rho to the Holy Land. The red cross was their symbol, whilst the white background symbolised the white shirts they were forced to wear under their armour to protect them from the fierce Palestinian sun. 

Alfa Romeo 166 front On the right of the badge are the arms of the Visconti family, which later became recognised as those of the City of Milan.

There are several stories on were the serpent came from. Some says it represents the snakes that the Lombards used to wear round their necks in a little case as a lucky charm, - or the dragon which, at the start of the fifth century, plagued Milan and was finally killed by Uberto, Squire of Angera, and founder of the Visconti family, - or it could be the symbol of Ottone Visconti who fought a victorious duel with the Saracen leader, Voluce, during the First Crusade. The city of Milan, however, claims that the serpent has nothing to do with the Visconti family.

What's certain, though, is that the Visconti family emblazoned its red cross and serpent coat of arms over the great door of Castello Sforzesco in Milan - and this is where the Alfa Romeo association begins.

Alfa Romeo 147 front Essentially, the Alfa badge consisted of the emblems of Visconti and Milan reversed and placed on a circle instead of a shield. Surrounding the circular motif was placed a dark blue ring containing the inscription 'ALFA' at the top and 'Milano' at the bottom. Completing the badge was a Savoy dynasty knot on either side of the blue ring, separating the wording. 

When the famous P2 Grand Prix cars won the first ever World Championship in 1925, the badge was encircled with thick silver laurel leaves in embossed metalwork. Over the years, these leaves lost their prominence and became less luxuriant, and when the monarchy was abolished and Italy became a republic, the Savoy dynasty knot was replaced by two wavy lines.

In 1972 the whole badge was simplified to what it is today. The word 'Milano' was dropped following the opening of the Pomigliano factory in the south - and the manufacturing of the first Alfasuds.

For the hardcore Alfisti, read the complete Pat Braden's Alfa Romeo history
 

1910-1915
In the beginning the external diameter of the shield was 65mm. ALFA and MILANO were separated by two knots.

1915-1925 
When Nicola Romeo took over in 1915 the logo had a small steel circle with ROMEO added. The diameter was still 65mm.

1925-1946 
After the Alfa P2 won the first world Motor Racing Championship the badge was surrounded by a laurel wreath. The diameter increased from 65mm to 75mm. In 1930 it was reduced to 60mm and remained unchanged until 1945. 

1946-1972 
When the monarchy was abolished and Italy became a republic, the two Savoy dynasty knots were exchanged with two wavy lines and the diameter was reduced to 54mm. 

1972-2015 
Since the new Alfasud factory was built in Pomigliano, the word MILANO disappeared from the logo, even though the two original Milanese symbols, the snake and the cross, still remains.

2015-> 
An updated version was presented 24. June 2015.